Important Medicare & CHAMPVA Facts
- When you become eligible, Medicare becomes your primary medical insurance and CHAMPVA your secondary.
- CHAMPVA covers deductibles & co-pays with Medicare, so you are 100% covered for covered medical services.
- You can choose to receive Medicare coverage directly through the government (Original Medicare) or through private health plans known as Medicare Advantage.
- When you start Medicare, CHAMPVA continues to provide you with prescription coverage. You can join a Medicare drug plan but you may lose part of your CHAMPVA benefits if you do.
- CHAMPVA can be your secondary insurance to Original Medicare or Private Medicare Advantage. So, you have a choice between the two.
As a CHAMPVA recipient, it’s important to know that when you become eligible for Medicare, you must sign up for it to maintain your CHAMPVA benefits.
The Parts Of Medicare
Medicare has 5 parts, with the main ones being Parts A & B. Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospitalization, skilled nursing facility, and home health care. Medicare Part B covers doctors, outpatient treatment and testing.
The Other 3 Parts
- Part C – More commonly known as Medicare Advantage, these are private insurance plans. You have the choice of being covered directly through Medicare or a Private Insurer.
- Part D – Medicare prescription pharmacy benefits. Medicare does not provide coverage directly but instead through private insurers.
- Supplements – Medicare Supplements are insurance plans that supplement Medicare A & B. They are offered by private insurers and help cover medical costs. CHAMPVA provides the same function, so in most cases, Medicare Supplements aren’t needed by CHAMPVA recipients.